10 Reasons Why We Need Feminism in the Immigrant Rights Movement
Posted on March 31, 2016 by Dani Marrero Hi – Digital Content Fellow, United We Dream
This Women’s History month, we’re fighting back against sexism that oppresses the brave and bold women in our movement. At United We Dream, we are committed to not tolerating sexism and misogyny in our movement spaces.
Here are 10 reasons why you should join us.
1. Cross-movement organizing will make our movement bigger and stronger
2. We need to assume responsibility of oppression that happens within our movement.
3. We must fight back against all oppression– including sexism and misogyny.
4. The women in our movement deserve to organize in a safe space free of sexism.
5. Sexism is not “normal” and should not be tolerated.
6. Immigration is a women’s health issue, including reproductive health, sexual, mental, trauma, and equal access.
7. Immigrant women deserve equal pay for equal work and to work in jobs that are safe, fair, and non-exploitative.
8. All women should be respected– no matter their background, language, religion, motherhood, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, class or ability.
9. Immigrant women, specially women of color, continue to be hypersexualized and “exoticized” by mass media, movies, and TV. That needs to end.
10. We can all make a better world for women if we commit to it.
And this is why we need YOU to call to an end of sexism in our movement spaces! Sign our letter and pledge at: unitedwedream.org/EndSexism.