Join Our Team: Data & Technology Director
United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With an online reach of over 2 million, more than 120,000 members as well as 55 local groups, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, providing immigration services, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic
organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots-driven approach has a proven record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
The Data & Technology Director directs resources to build new and manage existing technology assets, state of the art cybersecurity infrastructure, and use of data analysis to meet the organization’s strategic and campaign goals. The successful candidate must understand and can articulate the role that technology and cybersecurity play as a pillar of success in 21st Century organizations. They must be a self-starter who understands the value and possibilities presented by strategic data analysis, and is excited by the interplay of data technology with UWD’s vision, goal setting, strategy, and execution of plans.
The candidate must have an entrepreneurial mindset that will make him or her a key player in UWD’s social enterprise ventures. This will include managing the refinement and user satisfaction with our flagship software venture, DreamConnect, and identifying opportunities for additional functionality and the development of new tools to meet potential markets’ needs.
This position is also responsible for embracing the vision and providing the blueprint for fulfilling UWD’s goal to be a data driven organization and at the forefront of the nonprofit sector in its collection, analysis, and use of data segmentation and reports to ensure that organizing and advocacy work are tailored to our membership and demonstrate effectiveness. You’ll work closely with key senior leadership to develop effective, strategic plans, that get United We Dream closer to achieving its long-term strategic goals.
The person in this position must have the knowledge and experience handling responsibility for all data platforms and ensuring that the data in those platforms are secure, clean, and are stored in ways that facilitate their accessibility and use and for managing the vendor, technology executioners, and UWD staff relationships necessary to reach its technology goals.
The position is a full-time, exempt, preferably based California’s Bay Area, with flexibility. Periodic travel expected.
- Develop strategic plans and goals for the organization with the Director of Membership and Technology Strategies that is tied to UWD’s 2020 vision and strategic plan.
- Manage a high performing team of staff and consultants to ensure that they have all the resources that they need to be successful and effectively execute strategic plans.
- Promote the use of technology and collection of data throughout the organization, including affiliates, and develop and oversee innovative training techniques on the benefits and usage of technology and software, including DreamConnect.
- Develop and implement a plan for the adoption and support of affiliate use of technology including use of ongoing interviews, data, and surveys to refine and improve strategic plans.
- Design reports and other real time data feedback tools in collaboration with all UWD departments that enable organization-wide data-based decision-making and program evaluation
- Make UWD the leader in small non-profit organization data security through partnerships with data security experts
- Develop and implement a plan for the roll-out of UWD’s social enterprise product, DreamConnect and refine and add functionality to the tool to improve its capabilities and meet identified needs
- Oversee the provision of support to Dream Connect users and customers to ensure that they are maximizing its benefits for their organizations.
- Work with technology vendors to ensure that all platforms and software are working at optimal levels and explore the use of new features to increase its value
- Drive research and development to identify new areas and needs for innovative technologies
- Ensure the organization’s membership databases are maintained, secure, and properly managed.
Abilities and Experience:
- 5+ year experience in data management and technology
- Deeply committed to improve the lives of undocumented immigrants and their families.
- Ability to analyze data strategically and work collaboratively to identify relevant metrics to help them achieve their goals
- Experience developing timely strategic reports for planning and evaluation purposes.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and positive attitude enabling the execution of plans effectively with and across departments and the constructive handling of challenges.
- Creative approach to the use and development of data and technology that is not dependent on resources being available
- Ability to work independently with an understanding the importance of clear and direct communication of goals and objectives and willingness to ask for and provide clarification when needed
- Demonstrated experience as a productive team player and ability to hold strategic relationships with staff and customers.
- Excellent time management skills and understanding of the importance of prioritizing quality of production over quantity.
- Experience recruiting, managing, developing, a data and tech team motivated by excellence.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment.
- Ability to communicate fluently (written and oral).
This position is open until filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and and 3 references via email to [email protected] and include Data & Technology Director – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, gender, genetic information, sexual orientation, age, or disability.