My name is Naren and I’m HereToStay.

United We Dream DACA, Stories

Hello, My name is Naren. I applied for advance parole on August 29. I was able to have my grandmother request a letter from her doctor.

The application process was fairly simple. Before filling for advance parole I consulted with a lawyer who wanted $1950 for this process. When I asked the lawyer why is he charging so much he said that if I were to do it myself I would have a 40% chance, and if he did it I would have a 80% chance. This felt like a total scam.

My advance parole was approved on November 25 2016. I booked my ticket which cost $1400. I flew out from JFK airport on Monday December 5. The trip was a 5 day trip. The reason for this was because I started a new job and my boss was nice enough to give me 3 days off.

Flying out from JFK was a breeze no questions asked. All I provided was my passport. The flight left at 2:00 am. I was really nervous because I wondered if I would loose all that I worked for if they didn’t let me back in the USA. On that Monday my flight arrived in Georgetown Guyana at 8:00 am. I joined the resident line. The immigration office in Guyana just stamped my passport and I was on my way.

It was really nice to be in 95° weather. I saw my whole family waiting for me it was really nice to see my Mother, Father, Brothers and Sister after 13.5 years.

After leaving the airport we went to see my grandmother who was really happy. There was a lot of tears. Tears of joy. We arrived at my parents home at 15:00. Exhausted from the flight, I reached out to all my cousins. I was able to see all my relatives in just 5 days.

During my trip I realized that a wonderful country America. I love this country.

Leaving that day to come back home it was bitter sweet. Check-in at the airport in Guyana was very tough. The ticketing agent where I picked up my boarding pass didn’t know what Advance parole was. He asked his manager who give the thumbs up. I then checked my suitcase in and went to spend the final hour with my family.

At 16:25 I joined the immigration line. They stamped my passport without any hassle. All I had to provide was my work permit and advance parole and passport
At the boarding line I was approached by another immigration agent, who wanted to know how was it possible to live in the US and not have a visa or a green card. I provided my advance parole along with my work permit.

They threatened me stating that I have to go through interrogation. Luckily the airline called my name on the loud speaker. I told them I have all the necessary documents to enter the US.

After reading the document. They finally decided to let me go. I was the last passenger to board the plane.

The flight arrived in JFK at 22:00. I rushed off the plane and went straight to immigration agent who took all my documents and took my picture and finger prints.

He then took me to a large DHS room where he told me to take a seat. He then took my documents and placed them into a red folder.
I got nervous because all the other folder were green or yellow. The wait was about 20 minutes. The agent took my documents and verified everything on the computer. He called me over and said sir have a good night.

I got the stamp in my passport which said i was paroled until December 10. Which is only one day. He stamped my advance parole and kept both papers. I asked why I wasn’t able to keep the advance parole papers. He stated that its only for one use. They have to keep it. All that matters is that I have the stamp in my passport. Confused but relieved I left the room. The officer at the door checked my passport, I was on my way. Where my fiance was waiting to pick me up.

This experience was good. It made me appreciate everything I have. God bless America.

-Submitted through Facebook and edited for clarity, coherence, and unity.