United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 400,000 members as well as 48 affiliates in 26 states, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, providing immigration services, building cutting edge technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven track record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
UWD is looking for an engaging, experienced and strategic Florida Organizer ready to win campaigns that will improve the lives of immigrants and people of color. The organizer leads cutting-edge campaigns that focus on youth organizing, civic engagement campaigns, and leadership development and contributes to building a sustainable base and long-term power.
The position is a full-time, exempt position It based in our Miami-Dade County office and reports to the Florida State Director.
- Coordinate youth groups in Miami-Dade County to build grassroots power to advance a progressive, social justice agenda in their communities.
- Recruit and develop youth leaders at the grassroots level in conjunction with other United We Dream Staff team members and programs.
- Implement leadership and organizing trainings/curriculum tailored to support our youth leaders in building power for social justice.
- Organize and facilitate regular meetings with youth leadership groups.
- Work with community partners to build systems-level change at local and state levels, including developing strategies, engaging in dialogue; and planning meetings, events, rallies, forums, etc.
- Provide logistical support and coordination for United We Dream organizing work.
- Oversee civic engagement operation in designated turf.
- Identify 80 community leaders/organizers that would actively participate and play key roles during UWD’s 2018 Congress.
- Collaborate with Florida State Director and organizers on implementing a leadership development plan and fellowship program that engages youth committed to build community power on an ongoing basis (before, during, and after UWD 2018 Congress).
- Passion for youth and leadership, and commitment to fighting for social, racial, and economic justice.
- Minimum two years of experience in community, labor, or electoral organizing, with emphasis on organizing with immigrant youth.
- Ability to think strategically and plan programs and campaigns based on those strategies.
- Takes initiative and is self-motivated.
- Ability to collaborate with others and work as a member of a team.
- Excellent group facilitator with an ability to develop effective relationships with diverse allies and constituents.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment while maintaining effective time management and organizational methods.
- Has access to reliable transportation and a willingness to accommodate community-based scheduling needs (i.e. meetings held in the evenings and on weekends at offsite locations).
- Experience with computer programs, including Gmail and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience working with and/or ability to work with high school and college youth.
- Experience developing leadership curriculum and implementing trainings.
- Knowledge of one or more languages.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, and resume via email to email@example.com and include FLORIDA ORGANIZER – (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.