United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 300,000 members as well as 48 affiliates in 26 states, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, providing immigration services, building cutting edge technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven track record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
United We Dream is seeking a Senior Policy Analyst to manage the development and building up of the organization’s local, state and federal policy work. The right person for this job is a critical thinker and willing learner with excellent organizational and communications skills to break down and condense information for diverse audiences. The Senior Policy Analyst will develop and maintain relationships with other policy organizations. They will create and maintain the organization’s database on policies that impact undocumented immigrants and communities of color as well as support the leadership development pipeline of immigrant youth as advocacy leaders.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about UWD’s mission and be highly motivated about working in a fast-growing organization. They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, a skilled multi-tasker, reliable and committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams in a fast-paced environment. This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C.
Strategic Analysis and Recommendations
- Create and maintain a database of priority legislation and regulation impacting undocumented immigrants and communities of color
- Conduct research using daily and weekly legislative publications, internet, and other research tools in order to complete the above
- Develop and conduct public policy presentations for members and affiliates
- Conduct field briefings for United We Dream members and staff to update them on emerging issues.
- Work with organizational partners to develop guidance, reports, one-pagers, and other materials that move forward UWD advocacy goals.
State & Federal Advocacy
- Collaborate with Policy and Advocacy Manager and Advocacy Director on development of local, state and federal-level language for pro-immigrant, pro-people of color policies
- Provide policy recommendations and legislative direction to Policy and Advocacy Manager and Advocacy Director for local, state and federal campaigns.
- Manage relationships with policy organizations and think tanks to move forward United We Dream advocacy strategy and vision
- Collaborate with Advocacy Director on strategy regarding federal legislation, policy and congressional relationships on the Hill
- Support Policy and Advocacy Manager with coordination of meetings with local and state-level elected officials and partners, as needed
- Oversee United We Dream Advocacy Fellow program and train youth in advocacy and policy to build up a pipeline of leaders in the immigrant rights movement
- Recruit, screen, onboard, and assign responsibilities to fellows
- Conduct trainings with United We Dream members and staff on advocacy and policy.
- Build up the leadership of young people of color in national and local policy and advocacy spaces
- At least 3 years’ professional experience
- Experience with writing and briefing reports
- Excellent communication skills (written, oral, and interpersonal skills)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Enjoys working with others and is a team player
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint), comfortable using online resources and tools
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
- At least 3+ years of experience with policy research and analyses
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, at least one writing example, and salary requirement via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include SENIOR POLICY ANALYST (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.