United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 500,000 members as well as over 100 affiliates in 28 states, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, providing immigration services, building cutting edge technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven track record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
United We Dream is looking for a creative and visionary communicator to join our robust and fast-growing communications team. The right person for this job is a highly motivated team player, critical thinker, willing learner with excellent organizational and communications skills to break down and condense information for diverse audiences. As well as an excellent writer with political and cultural savvy who can’t wait to make the voice of UWD members heard and change the world.
The Communications Associate will develop and maintain media relationships to pitch stories that help shift the narrative on immigration, amplify the stories of undocumented immigrants, communities of colors and the broaders issues we care about. They will be a key in the leadership development pipeline of immigrant youth as communications leaders as well.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about UWD’s mission AND also passionate about the news industry and driving national coverage about our members and our work.
They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, a skilled multi-tasker, reliable and committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams in a fast-paced environment. This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C.
UWD’s Strategic Voice
- Participate in strategy conversations and decisions with larger UWD team, and own specific national communications goals based on strategic direction.
- Support the development of UWD’s press statements, media advisories, national messages, responses, including press releases, talking points, opinion pieces, booking memos, etc.
- Effectively communicate UWD’s voice through news stories and our owned-content.
- Support and/or lead media and communications trainings to build up communications and storytelling skills of young people of color in national and local spaces to build up the pipeline of communications leaders in the immigrants rights movement
- Find opportunities to advance the interest of United We Dream members and programs through the news and entertainment media
- Other duties as assigned
- 1-2 years of professional communications experience
- Experience writing press release, blogs, opinion pieces
- Experience speaking to press, in front or behind the cameras
- Excellent communication skills (written, oral, and interpersonal skills)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment
- Enjoys working with others and is a team player
- Ability to be part of intersecting teams and give and receive support as necessary
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others
- Personal experience with the issues facing the UWD membership preferred
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred Proficient in Microsoft Office software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint), comfortable using online resources and tools including media databases like Meltwater, Cision, Gorkana
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, at least one writing example, and salary requirement via email to email@example.com and include COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.