United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voices heard and win!
With an online reach of over 4 million, more than 400,000 members as well as 5 statewide branches and over 100 local groups across 28 states. UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots-driven approach has a proven record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
As a digital community associate, you are empowered to represent UWD as an ambassador online. A successful candidate is a strong storyteller who is deeply committed to using digital content to amplify the work of undocumented youth, refugees, and their families. You are a strong editor who can take feedback, always trying to build our narrative and bring clarity to our message. You are a creature of the internet, who loves to create and follow the newest digital trends. You hunger to educate and inspire our members, with a passion for curating content to support our work. You are highly motivated, flexible, and have a particular attention to detail in your work. You’re ready to do whatever it takes, happy to pitch in for rapid response or fundraising or organizing. You must be an organizer who is passionate about the fight for justice and empowering immigrant communities. You are ready to train the next generation of activists, volunteers, and UWD members. Reporting to the Senior Digital Strategist, you are ready to support UWD’s vision for our online community and properties.
You and your team are responsible to keep a pulse on our membership online. Your thinking about what we can do to increase engagement on our social media is very important. You will be part of a team that leads a growth and content strategy on all platforms — you must rise to the challenge with the support of the team to think about innovative content to engage our members and online audiences.
The Digital Community Associate supports our work through writing, editing, and posting compelling content that grows our audience and connects with our base. Think of it this way: UWD is youth led, mighty organization, and you are part of a team responsible to ensure that our profile online represents that. You are responsible to make United We Dream a welcoming space online, that brings people into our organizing, encourages people to live their most authentic lives, and bring a voices that matches the leadership we embody.
This means that you are always prioritizing and making us better at interacting with members. It doesn’t mean that you are answering every single question that comes your way, but you are effective at coming up with ways to get back to people, prioritize what needs individual attention, and what are the opportunities to do broader engagement.
You have an instinct for aesthetics, and would define yourself as creative. You are plugged into emerging platforms, as well as fluent in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and WhatsApp. You develop ideas that can be implemented quickly and strategically. You are excited to explore video as a content vertical, including live and produced video packages.
The position is a full-time, exempt, with flexibility. Periodic travel expected. Although not required, major plus if you are multilingual.
- Write, edit, and post content on UWD digital properties, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and more
- Support the day to day management of all social media properties, including maintaining content calendar
- Develop digital reporting for content verticals, building out tracking, reports, and analysis throughout program
- Ghostwrite for leaders and organizers, as needed
- Coordinate with policy, communications, campaigns, data, technology, and field departments on rapid response campaigns, as needed
- Help translate or find translators for content, including understanding how to interpret cultural differences to make our content most effective
- Compiles content reflecting our different audiences for use for partners, affiliates, and staff
- Compiles content like articles, videos, and data visualizations relevant to the many constituencies of UWD
- Listen to youth, their families, our affiliates and members and translate those stories to digital content or campaigns
- In charge of updating website content in coordination with the team. Ensures website is strategically used to drive action and inform people of any of the latest news
- Manages all publication content that is going into web platforms
- Manages and updates the editorial calendar for all social media accounts
- Manages stream of content for leadership accounts
- Manages and responds to messages from UWD membership that is reaching out by different platforms
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Email
- In charge of the execution and programming of all live content, including affiliates and branches
- This means that they will train people on how to do live programming, not just handle getting people passwords
- Keep an updated list of the people that we have trained on social media management
- Engage as a senior leader: Advise on organizational strategy; represent the Digital Department’s perspective during regular team meetings; participate in strategic and long-term planning processes for the organization
- Strategic alignment: Build consensus within the membership to ensure UWD’s digital and political strategy is aligned with the organizational vision and membership priorities
- Support fundraising: Collaborate with Senior Digital Strategist, Digital Organizing Manager and Digital team in fundraising strategy for digital priorities
- Build future leaders: Train and mentor youth in digital and content in order to build a pipeline of young leaders of color in the immigrant rights movement
- Demonstrate embodied leadership: Prioritize taking care of your physical and emotional health as a key component of thriving in your role. Practice self-care behaviors in ways that work best for you and proactively encourage your staff to prioritize self-care as well. Project trust & confidence in your abilities and skills and recognize the achievements and abilities of others
- Strengthen the culture: Ensure a safe, welcoming, and inspiring organizational culture for staff to excel in. Role model and uphold UWD’s values of creating an inclusive and equitable working environment
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Familiar with social media sites Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and other up and coming platforms
- Experience in writing content in a rapid response environment — you can write a tweet quickly that is effective at communicating complex information
- Willingness to perform in demanding, fast paced environments
- Knowledge of immigrants rights’ policy and organizing landscape, preferably with lived experience as an undocumented person, immigrant, or immigrant family
- Strong writer and editor with an eye towards optimizing content for digital platforms and campaigns
- Talented creative willing to do whatever it takes to fight for justice
- Intersectional social justice analysis on race, class and gender passionate about immigrants’ rights that you apply daily to your work
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, at least one writing example, and salary requirement via email to a href=”mailto:email@example.com”>firstname.lastname@example.org and include DIGITAL COMMUNITY ASSOCIATE (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.