United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voices heard and win!
With an online reach of over 4 million, more than 400,000 members as well as 5 statewide branches and over 100 local groups across 28 states. UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots-driven approach has a proven record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
United We Dream is seeking a Digital Organizer as part of the Digital Organizing team. Your focus is to engage and organize our communities through digital tools and supporting our affiliates in growing their organizing online. You are comfortable communicating with members of UWD from all over the country using online mediums like email, SMS, webinar trainings, and social media groups. The key to success is that you are committed to building a culture of digital organizing in the immigrants’ rights movement.
You are an excellent communicator who is energized by talking to members and volunteers. You communicate with warmth, patience, and you are good to come up with the best systems to manage several lines of communication with people you are organizing. You see yourself as an advocate for our members and leaders, always ready to bring their voices to the table or fix problems for them.
You are ready to become a master trainer, have experience being trained and training others in digital best practices. You feel equally comfortable leading a conference call, creating a one pager, getting in front of a room of hundreds, or training someone one to one. You feel comfortable acting as a translator for concepts and tactics, and know how to speak “field” and “digital” in equal measure.
You are also someone who is a stickler for excellence and has great attention to detail. You’re familiar with communicating with people via text messaging, and can get people excited through social media to take action or joining UWD. You are always ready to set up digital communications, including proofing, getting approvals, and sending tests to make sure that our members receive the highest standard of communications.
The Ideal candidate will be passionate about UWD’s mission and be highly motivated about working in a fast-growing organization. They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, a skilled multi-tasker, reliable and committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams in a fast-paced environment. This is a full-time exempt position. Frequent travel expected. Although not required, major plus if you are multilingual.
- Write emails, text messages, tweets, Facebook posts, instagram captions, content for organizing, communications, and fundraising.
- You must work with your supervisor to set goals, target the right members for campaigns, develop tests to make our digital organizing more effective, set up action pages and online forms, proof reading all your written content before it’s sent for review or posted online.
- Be proactive to gather insights from members as part of your organizing, including, but not limited to: what are members eager to learn about? What campaigns are resonating? How can we grow the participation of our membership online?
- Grow UWD’s membership to agreed benchmarks — you are responsible to work with your manager to create plans for retention and growing our base online, like managing petitions, leveraging relational organizing by empowering members to start campaigns online to reach more people, and using different online tactics to bring more immigrant youth as part of UWD’s online membership.
- Identify digital organizing opportunities and campaigns that keep members of UWD engaged in distributed organizing platform.
- Recruit and manage digital volunteers, as needed, create and maintain community spaces for highly-engaged members, such as facebook and/or slack groups.
Abilities + Experience
- We’re looking for someone who is ready to use digital tools to reach out and make new connections with a commitment to creative problem-solving.
- Open to learning digital best practices, and a passion to use digital tools and messaging to support leaders and engage members
- Willingness to work in demanding, fast paced environments
- Passion for equality and safety of immigrants and refugees, preferably with lived experience as an undocumented person, refugee, immigrant, or immigrant family
- Strong writer and communicator who is ready to learn how to translate the needs of field team to digital team and vice versa
- Attention to detail, flexibility, and patience
- Eagerness to learn new things, use new tools against rising challenges and ready to lead responses to rapid or developing news
- Intersectional social justice analysis on race, class and gender passionate about immigrants’ rights
- Knowledge of immigrants rights’ policy and organizing landscape, preferably with lived experience as an undocumented person, immigrant, or immigrant family
- Ability to travel at least 1-2 times per month required
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, at least one writing example, and salary requirement via email to email@example.com and include DIGITAL ORGANIZER (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.