United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voices heard and win!
With an online reach of over 4 million, more than 400,000 members as well as 5 statewide branches and over 100 local groups across 28 states. UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots-driven approach has a proven record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
United We Dream has an immediate opening for a Florida Statewide Coordinator. The Coordinator is a member of UWD’s field leadership team and is charged with driving the mission and direction of the organization in Florida. This position offers a unique opportunity to lead a passionate and dedicated staff of organizers and youth leaders in the development and engineering of impactful campaigns on key issues affecting immigrant youth and the community at large. The Florida State coordinator will serve a pivotal role in building and shaping the direction of a team with a creative, deep community-centered focus and team-based approach to the work.
The ideal candidate will be an inspiring and visionary young leader with significant youth community organizing and campaign experience. They possess a love for youth work, intergenerational work, and is an excellent manager of people. They are a culturally competent champion of diversity and an active practitioner of equitable and inclusive practices that honor the identities, backgrounds, and experiences of their team and youth members. They are a collaborative partner with demonstrated experience working closely with local community organizations to envision and win local and state policy victories that advance immigrant justice, and replicate strategies to protect immigrant communities from current anti-immigrant attacks.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about UWD’s mission and be highly motivated about working in a fast-growing organization. They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, a skilled multi-tasker, reliable and committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams in a fast-paced environment. This is a full-time position based in Miami, FL. Periodic travel expected. Although not required, major plus if you are multilingual.
- Oversee community organizing campaigns
- Lead and build UWD’s Florida youth organizing program
- Design innovative intergenerational engagement program
- Build strategic partnerships and represent the organization in local and statewide coalitions
- Cultivate and manage an effective organizing team
- Serve as an overall state UWD leader in coordination with the leadership of the national network
- Lead strategic planning, goal tracking and reporting for our work in Florida
- Design and create effective intergenerational programs for immigrant youth, parents and educators that integrate mobilization, social justice leadership development, and nonpartisan civic engagement/electoral participation that further the organizational mission.
- Take a lead role in designing, monitoring and evaluating UWD’s organizing model and championing community-led campaigns as well as policy issues that build power for the immigrant community
- Coordinate and conduct targeted community education presentations on diverse issues
- Develop and maintain partnerships locally statewide and nationally
- Educate and work with public and elected officials to advance our legislative priorities
- Implement a media strategy that covers and highlights UWD campaigns and overall service to the community
Leadership & Representation
- Lead the state program by maintaining open and professional relations with colleagues, promoting a strong team spirit and providing guidance, oversight and resources to enable staff to perform successfully.
- Initiate and sustain strong, mutually beneficial and authentic partnerships with immigrant rights and racial justice movement building organizations in FL.
- Develop and carry out strategies that result in strong representation with: Local & state government authorities at various levels; including donors & foundations
- Ensure UWD becomes the organization of choice for immigrant youth in Florida
- Seek out and pursue opportunities to raise the profile of the work of the UWD and its partners in Florida, as well as the lives and the needs of immigrant youth and their families
- Oversee Florida’s leadership program and train youth in advocacy and organizing to build up a pipeline of leaders in the immigrant rights movement in Florida.
- Recruit, screen, onboard, and assign responsibilities to youth leaders
- Conduct trainings with United We Dream members and staff on advocacy and community organizing.
- Build up the leadership of immigrant youth in state and local policy and organizing spaces
- Facilitate programming for high school age immigrant youth on identity, systemic oppression, intersectionality, methods of social change, and power analysis
- Assist in the design and implementation of curriculum to support program and organizational growth. This includes working with fellow staff to develop and facilitate training in immigrant rights, racial justice and community organizing concepts & methodology
- Cultivate relationships with involved youth to support their engagement and leadership development
- Coordinate with organizing staff to facilitate opportunities for youth to play a meaningful role in organizing campaigns, and representing the organization various spaces including coalitions, and legislative strategy spaces
- Oversee the recruitment of new youth & adult members through: canvassing in the local community, outreach at events and schools, personal visits, and phoning; planning and organizing membership activities; consistently involving youth and their families in the organization and increasing their commitment.
- Support youth & community organizer in execution of organizing plan, base building, member development, relationship building and reaching attendance goals for trainings and meetings
- Maintenance of data tracking systems
- Regular input of new contacts and member participation into database
- Organizational Leadership
- Engage as a leader: Advise on organizational strategy; represent the Field Department’s perspective during regular field team meetings; participate in strategic and planning processes for the organization
- Strategic alignment: Build consensus within the Florida membership to ensure UWD’s field and political strategy is aligned with the organizational vision and membership priorities
- Support fundraising: Collaborate with Field Director, Program Director and Field team in fundraising strategy for field priorities
- Build future leaders: Train and mentor youth in Field and organizing in order to build a pipeline of young leaders of color in the immigrant rights movement
- Demonstrate embodied leadership: Prioritize taking care of your physical and emotional health as a key component of thriving in your role. Practice self-care behaviors in ways that work best for you and proactively encourage your staff to prioritize self-care as well. Project trust & confidence in your abilities and skills and recognize the achievements and abilities of others
- Strengthen the culture: Ensure a safe, welcoming, and inspiring organizational culture for staff to excel in. Role model and uphold UWD’s values of creating an inclusive and equitable working environment
- Excellent communication skills (written, oral & interpersonal skills)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage, and inspire community members
- Strong administrative and operations skills
- Ability to work well with a team of staff and consultants on the ground and supporting the work remotely and motivate others to take action
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds & cultures
- Enjoys working with others and is a team player
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint), comfortable using online resources and tools such as google platforms.
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
- Experience developing and Managing non-partisan civic engagement programs, and or willing to participate in fast track professional development that would allow to meet this requirement
- At least 5 years of experience with organizing in Florida, including at least three years in a leadership role
- Experience of building personal networks at a senior level, resulting in securing new opportunities for the organization
- Fluency in English and Spanish required
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, at least one writing example, and salary requirement via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include FLORIDA STATEWIDE COORDINATOR (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability