United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voices heard and win!
With an online reach of over 5 million, more than 500,000 members as well as 5 statewide branches and over 100 local groups across 28 states. UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots-driven approach has a proven record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
You are the chief strategist that ensures that we are growing a vibrant, organized community online that is ready to take action when called upon. As the Digital Organizing Manager, you are empowered to make decisions about the organizational priorities of our online campaigns. You are the principal manager of the online organizing program, so you must strive to always have a clear balance between the work that must be done, and new opportunities that helps us achieve our digital organizing, membership growth benchmarks, and fundraising benchmarks.
You are a deft campaigner who is laser focused on maximum impact and efficient strategy. You have a strong grasp of immigrants rights organizing and policy, and you likely have experience organizing in immigrant communities. You’re an organizer who uses digital tools to integrate field and online strategy. You are a strong writer who understands how to craft a compelling call to action and can turn around a draft in a few minutes, if needed.
Most important, you will be tasked to use distributed and relational organizing tools to organize our membership online. You are tasked to lead and manage an operation that is data driven. You must be effective at finding trends and making strategic decisions about our digital program.
Lastly, you will be working across many different program areas at the organization. Your leadership should be one that engages in the strategy development of program activities, and not a “tell me what you need” attitude.
Within the digital team, you must be a good task manager since you will work with different functions of the team to ensure that your work is effective. You must work with the senior digital strategist and with the content team to ensure that our outbound communications and content strategies are in line with our organizing work. You are responsible to envision and work with the content team to develop web, graphic, videos, for the digital organizing program.
You are energized by the ability to work at the core of the immigrants movement, equally at home turning your attention to long term programmatic needs and multiple rapid response campaigns. You pride yourself on being able to do a little bit of everything, whether that is engage with partners, writing an emergency SMS alert, or putting together materials for partners.
You are ready to take UWD’s work to the next level, with a proven track record of growth and acquisition in email and mobile lists. You are comfortable with digital campaigns, including petitions, direct action, and finding avenues for policy leverage. You are a team player who understands that digital is the cornerstone of our policy, communications, and campaign work, ready to work with many members of that team. You report to the Digital Director, working closely with them to ensure excellence in our digital campaigns.
The position is a full-time, exempt, with flexibility. Periodic travel expected. Although not required, major plus if you are multilingual.
- Manage digital organizing team
- Support digital work of state affiliates
- Work closely with field team to amplify the work of state affiliates, train leaders and members, and provide additional resources to state affiliates
- Partner with campaigns, communications, and policy teams to determine strategy for digital campaigns and rapid response
- Determine efficient, impactful digital strategy for organizing campaigns with organizational buy-in and member support
- Recruit volunteers for events and actions
- Build out ally organizing program to support undocumented youth and their families online and on the ground
- Manage email and SMS lists by writing content, overseeing production, and developing growth and acquisition strategies
- Keep online community engaged and supported through holistic volunteer experience for both new and existing members Responsible for the success or failure of United We Dream’s membership engagement – you are the person held accountable for ensuring that we have a communication with members calendar and that we are driving a growth strategy
- Responsible to lead rapid response strategy in our national campaign and local efforts for our digital program, including giving direction to social media teams and content development teams
- Responsible for the success or failure of meeting our fundraising and membership growth benchmarks
- Responsible for the execution, management, and success of distributed organizing program
- Responsible for the execution, management, and success of digital fundraising strategy; which includes but is not limited to donor cultivation, working with external partners, email fundraising program
- Engage as a senior leader: Advise on organizational strategy; represent the Digital Department’s perspective during regular senior leadership team meetings; participate in strategic and long-term planning processes for the organization
- Strategic alignment: Build consensus within the membership to ensure UWD’s digital and political strategy is aligned with the organizational vision and membership priorities
- Support fundraising: Collaborate with Creative & Digital Director, Senior Digital Strategist and Digital team in fundraising strategy for digital priorities
- Build future leaders: Train and mentor youth in digital and content in order to build a pipeline of young leaders of color in the immigrant rights movement
- Demonstrate embodied leadership: Prioritize taking care of your physical and emotional health as a key component of thriving in your role. Practice self-care behaviors in ways that work best for you and proactively encourage your staff to prioritize self-care as well. Project trust & confidence in your abilities and skills and recognize the achievements and abilities of others
- Strengthen the culture: Ensure a safe, welcoming, and inspiring organizational culture for staff to excel in. Role model and uphold UWD’s values of creating an inclusive and equitable working environment
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- 3+ years experience of relevant digital work experience
- Willingness to manage work and team in demanding, fast paced environments
- Knowledge of immigrants rights’ policy and organizing landscape, preferably with lived experience as an undocumented person, immigrant, or immigrant family
- Demonstrated success in creating, expanding, and maintaining email and SMS lists, particularly in growth and acquisition
- Experience conceptualizing and implementing digital campaigns from start to finish, including petitions, engaging with activists on the ground, social media, and partner engagement
- Experienced trainer with background in curriculum development, upfront training, and material creation
- Understanding of data management, hygiene, and integration
- Talented organizer with excellent project management skills, willing to do whatever it takes to fight for justice
- Intersectional social justice analysis on race, class and gender passionate about immigrants’ rights
- Managing staff
- Running online campaigns and successful at raising money through different online platforms
- Editing skills are effective, can coach staff into bettering their writing skills
- Clear experience running data driven campaigns
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, at least one writing example, and salary requirement via email to email@example.com and include DIGITAL ORGANIZING MANAGER (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.