United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voices heard and win!
With an online reach of over 4 million, more than 400,000 members as well as 5 statewide branches and over 100 local groups across 28 states. UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots-driven approach has a proven record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
United We Dream is seeking a Florida Advocacy Fellow. In collaboration with the Advocacy Team you will learn, create and implement an advocacy campaign in Miami/Broward county area for the development and growth of our pipeline of young leaders of color in the immigrant rights movement. The right person for this job is a critical thinker and willing learner with excellent organizational and communications skills to break down and condense information for diverse audiences.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about UWD’s mission and be highly motivated about working in a fast-growing organization. They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, a skilled multi-tasker, reliable and committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams in a fast-paced environment.
This position is based out of Miami. Periodic travel expected. Although not required, major plus if you are multilingual.
- Work with the Advocacy & Policy Manager, relevant State Field Director and local organizers to create and implement advocacy campaign plans with associated success metrics, primarily in the Miami/Broward County area
- Build local partner relationships and represent the organization during partner strategy meetings, conference calls and/or related activities led by or in coalition with partner organizations
- Cultivate relationships with local elected officials, federal elected officials, and their staff in order to advance advocacy priorities supported by our Florida membership as well amplifying campaigns to expose ICE, CBP and criminalization of Black and brown communities through collaboration and strategy with the Deportation Defense team
- Work with Advocacy & Policy manager to implement advocacy curriculum, trainings and education in the community
- Develop content material with Advocacy Team including but not limited to one-pagers, guides, memos and analysis relevant to local advocacy campaign(s)
- Collaborate with Florida lead organizer and Advocacy & Policy Manager to respond to issues as they arise, seizing and creating opportunities to advance UWD’s overall goals and mission
- Track bills and resolutions relevant to Florida advocacy priorities at the local and statewide level; lead on analysis and communicating to team members recommendations for local response
- Demonstrate embodied leadership: Prioritize taking care of your physical and emotional health as a key component of thriving in your role. Practice self-care behaviors in ways that work best for you and proactively encourage your staff to prioritize self-care as well. Project trust & confidence in your abilities and skills and recognize the achievements and abilities of others
- Strengthen the culture: Ensure a safe, welcoming, and inspiring organizational culture for staff to excel in. Role model and uphold UWD’s values of creating an inclusive and equitable working environment
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Based in Miami area
- Good communications skills
- Some volunteer and/or work experience in immigrant rights/racial justice
- Proactive at building relationships/expanding our network of partners in South Florida
- Experience reading/analyzing bills
- Experience producing explainers/summaries of policy
- Organizing experience
- Strong understanding of the immigrant experience
- Understanding of race, gender, sexuality and other aspects of identity, and their intersections, and how that plays out in the work
- Demonstrates self-awareness of their own multiple group identities and their attendant dynamics, and can adapt approach as needed
- Ability to build strong relationships and trust across race, gender, class, and other group identities, both internally and externally
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, at least one writing example, and salary requirement via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Florida Advocacy Fellow (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.