United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voices heard and win! With an online reach of over 4 million, more than 400,000 members as well as 5 statewide branches and over 100 local groups across 28 states. UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ. Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country. We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots-driven approach has a proven record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
United We Dream is seeking an Accounting Associate to perform specialized bookkeeping tasks and apply fundamental bookkeeping knowledge and skills to own our day-to-day bookkeeping and finance requirements. Confidentiality, excellent organizational skills, and accuracy are important qualifications as well as great interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly. The ideal candidate will be passionate about UWD’s mission and be highly motivated about working in a fast-growing organization. They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, a skilled multi-tasker, reliable and committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams in a fast-paced environment. This is a full time position based in Washington, D.C.
Accounts Payable and Disbursements
- Process invoices and reimbursement requests through Bill.com for review, approval, and payment
- Bill.com processing and updating of new and current vendors’ information and making sure that changes are reflected in Intacct.
- Ensure reimbursement requests are accompanied with required receipts and any additional documentation according to UWD policies
- Set up approval and payment routing for contracts in accordance with UWD’s authorization policy
- As needed, collect ACH or wire information from vendors for transmission.
- Manage the accounts payable email where all accounts payable related transaction flow
- Serve as direct contact with vendors to execute and resolve payment issues that arise
- Monitors payables to ensure they are paid in a timely manner
- Expensify – Receive, review, and process all Expensify reports ensuring supporting documentation and appropriate routes for approval.
- Reconciled reports and receipts submitted against debit card statements and ensure complete records are made available.
- Process all expense reimbursements including Expensify report and supporting documentation for payment.
- First approver for reimbursement.
- Process payments on a bi-monthly basis.
Internal Control Support
- As needed, support the Finance team in the budget process to ensure their familiarity with income, expenses related to general operating and special projects, as well as c3 and c4, entities and fiscal sponsored entities.
- Practice and follow all UWD finance policies and procedures
- Supports Senior Staff Accountant in ensuring internal controls and policies in place are followed and support by providing recommendations for improvement.
- Other projects as needed.
- Within 0 to 1-year experience working in accounts payable and general ledger
- Will provide training to the right candidate
- Basic knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Experience with data entry, record keeping, and computer operation
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office (Excel – Pivot Table, Vlookup, etc.) and financial management systems
- Excellent communication skills (written, oral, and interpersonal skills)
- Track record of success in meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Enjoys working with others and is a team player
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission
- Experience with INTACCT and Bill.com as well as on-line applications such as Expensify.
- Experience in working with non-profit, 501(c)3 and 501(c)4.
- Compensation $20 to $25 per hour based on experience
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include ACCOUNTING ASSOCIATE– (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability