Objective: This resource will allow K-12 educators to have concrete tools on how to support the undocumented community during the Supreme Court’s Decision on DACA
On November 12, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) case and will issue their decision any time between March and June of 2020. This decision will not only directly impact the lives of 700,000 DACA recipients who are students, teachers, parents and family members but also the 3.9 million students who are part of mixed-status families in our schools.
While educators must continue to embrace the resilience of our undocumented students in our schools, they must also be prepared to address the detrimental impact that the Supreme Court’s ruling on DACA will have in their entire school community.
Administrators, teachers and school staff are often the first line of support for hundreds of thousands of students and families who are vulnerable to detention and deportation. We ask you to take action by implementing these best practices in your school community to show support for the undocumented community in response to the Supreme Court’s decision on DACA.
1. Learn about the impact of the DACA decision and its implications for undocumented students and families in your school community
2. Create a Safe Space in your classroom and school by adopting one of these practices:
3. Share and amplify the stories of undocumented students, educators, and staff in your lessons and classroom discussions in person and virtually
4. Proactively share & connect ALL families to resources on DACA and other immigration policies in the languages spoken in your school community
5. Commit to supporting DACAmented students, educators, and staff in your schools through the following actions:
Regardless of the Supreme Court’s Decision, Trump will not cease his attacks — so we won’t stop fighting for our community, friends and loved ones either! We need support to launch actions, Deportation Defense programs, and organize our communities. Donate today to sustain the fight!
Thank you for claiming your free sticker! We receive a lot of requests so please allow up to two months for shipping. In the meantime, spread the word with others so they can get a sticker as well!