United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to make their voices heard and win victories so that all people can live free and thrive. We recruit, support, engage and empower young people and are creating a new generation of social justice leaders to change our world.
Our powerful network is made up of over 720,000 members, 100+ local groups across 28 states, and we reach over 5 million people online every month. We celebrate our diversity and believe in multi-ethnic, multi-racial, inter-generational intersectional solutions. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. United We Dream is a fast-paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Today, United We Dream is arguably the most influential immigrant rights organization in the nation and a leading driver of progressive politics and strategy. Our brand is known around the world and we are proud to be driven by the hopes, dreams, decisions, and brilliance of directly impacted young people.
United We Dream is looking for a visionary and effective communicator to join our robust and fast-growing communications team. The right person for this job is a highly motivated team player, critical thinker, with excellent writing and communications skills, willing learner, and be able to identify opportunities to elevate the stories of immigrant youth and families, and advance UWD’s communications and narrative strategies and message. The ideal candidate will be passionate about UWD’s mission and political and cultural savvy. This position will split their time between writing, leading and supporting media relationships and cultivating strategies. The Communications Associate must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, moving from writing project to writing project, while keeping UWD’s unique voice consistent, in addition to being comfortable managing relationships and data.
They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, a skilled multi-tasker, reliable and committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams. This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. reporting to the National Communications Manager.
- Participate in strategy conversations and decision making within the UWD Communications team;
- Own specific research and writing projects based on strategic direction;
- Effectively communicate and advance UWD’s voice and strategy in different formats and structures;
- Lead writing projects, including press statements, talking points, research papers, emails, reporter pitches, and more;
- Find opportunities to advance the interest of United We Dream members and programs through owned-content and traditional media;
- Communicate effectively UWD’s message by working to identify where to best place news stories by identifying key reporters to build relationships with;
- Lead and manage United We Dream’s media database;
- Support media and communications training to build up communications and storytelling skills of UWD members;
- Track news clips and occasionally produce reports of press reach and coverage, and help improve UWD’s impact in the media based on learnings;
- Monitor social media feeds and the news cycle and be proactive about executing rapid response communication as required;
- In charge of completing UWD’s monthly metrics report for the communications team;
- Other duties as assigned.
Abilities and Experience
- 2-3 years of professional communications and professional writing experience;
- Quickly able to adapt to United We Dream’s voice and writing style;
- Eager and able to find ways to land the story on the papers and on TV;
- Comfortable speaking in front and managing press behind the cameras;
- Excellent communication skills (written, oral, and interpersonal skills);
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure;
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment;
- Enjoys working with others and is a team player;
- Ability to be part of intersecting teams and give and receive support as necessary;
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others;
- Personal experience with the issues facing the UWD membership preferred; but not required.
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred;
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please email email@example.com and include COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line, and include the following:
- Cover letter, resume, and three writing samples;
- At least three professional references (references are not contacted until you’ve had a successful interview);
- Please send any salary requirements, history, range or expectations separately from other materials.
- No phone calls, please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.