United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to make their voices heard and win victories so that all people can live free and thrive. We recruit, support, engage and empower young people and are creating a new generation of social justice leaders to change our world.
Our powerful network is made up of over 720,000 members, 100+ local groups across 28 states, and we reach over 5 million people online every month. We celebrate our diversity and believe in multi-ethnic, multi-racial, inter-generational intersectional solutions. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. United We Dream is a fast-paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Today, United We Dream is arguably the most influential immigrant rights organization in the nation and a leading driver of progressive politics and strategy. Our brand is known around the world and we are proud to be driven by the hopes, dreams, decisions, and brilliance of directly impacted young people.
At United We Dream, technology and data play a big role in achieving our goals of dignity for our families and undocumented people across the country. We’re looking for a visionary leader to join the United We Dream team with an understanding of grassroots organizing who loves data, loves working with other people to love data, and who’s attitude to technological limitations is: “whatever, we can find a solution.”
As the Field Data Manager, you will be responsible to upkeep all the systems that house our membership data, and will have the ability to innovate new ways to to make our systems more efficient and functional for our teams, as well as getting the opportunity to lead in new innovative technology initiatives that foster membership engagement and power building.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. or remotely reporting to the Strategy Director.
- Envision and develop strategies to increase data collection effectiveness for all of our organizing programs across the country
- Work with strategy director, field director, and other key staff that manage different data across the organization to develop reporting dashboards and carry out tasks needed to keep data accurate and up to date
- Co-develop with the field organizers to design and implement processes for data collection, and work with directors to ensure that issues and challenges to successfully collect and manage membership data are being addressed
- Become proficient with and lead trainings for staff, volunteers, and members of the organization as needed for the success of data collection and data management in platforms such as Quickbase, VAN, among others.
- Responsible to administer account access for staff, volunteers, and members; manage data access levels for different staff, and make platform customizations to track data as needed for the success of our programs
- Migrate data between field systems, online systems, and other department systems and manage tagging mechanisms accordingly to ensure proper use and management of data and goal tracking
- Troubleshoot all systems when something is not working and manage select vendor relationships
- Work with strategy director to support the development of applications for various United We Dream projects
- Create geo targeted lists, migrate lists, and produce reports for our civic engagement campaigns
- Be a leader in developing a culture of data collection and data driven decision making at all levels of the organization
- Maintain weekly check ins with Strategy Director
- Other duties as assigned
Abilities and Experience
- You are eager to help organizers be successful to build a database of their membership
- Deep understanding of grassroots organizing principles and immigrant youth organizing to inform our data management systems.
- Strong understanding of the day to day workflow and challenges faced by most organizers with data management and be passionate about exploring areas where technology tools and data systems can increase effectiveness to make organizing more sustainable and impactful.
- Has been dying for an opportunity to bring your entrepreneurial spirit together with your passion for innovation
- Be an independent researcher for how to troubleshoot platform challenges and data management issues
- Quick to identify challenges and effective at working with a team to address them
- A complete data geek who is obsessed with the idea of clean data, and can effectively communicate why this matters to relevant staff
- Knowledgeable in database development and management, and you love spreadsheets
- Prefer some knowledge in SQL and Python, otherwise, be ready to learn fast some basics for database management and data analysis
- Fast learner for applications (UWD’s tool set includes Civis, VAN, Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle, and QuickBase)
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please email email@example.com and include Field Data Manager (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line, and include the following:
- Cover letter, resume, and a data exercise that will be made available during the interview process;
- At least three professional references (references are not contacted until you’ve had a successful interview);
- Please send any salary requirements, history, range or expectations separately from other materials.
- No phone calls, please.