United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led community in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to make their voices heard and win victories so that all people can live free and thrive. We recruit, support, engage and empower young people and are creating a new generation of social justice leaders to change our world.
Our powerful network is made up of over 720,000 members, 100+ local groups across 28 states, and we reach over 5 million people online every month. We celebrate our diversity and believe in multi-ethnic, multi-racial, inter-generational intersectional solutions. Over 60% of our members are womxn and 20% identify as LGBTQ.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, building innovative technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. United We Dream is a fast-paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members; have trained thousands of individuals; and have supported countless local organizing groups. Today, United We Dream is arguably the most influential immigrant rights organization in the nation and a leading driver of progressive politics and strategy. Our brand is known around the world and we are proud to be driven by the hopes, dreams, decisions, and brilliance of directly impacted young people.
United We Dream is looking for a visionary and effective Civic Engagement and Training Manager to work with Strategy Director & Campaign Manager to implement the organization’s c3 and c4 voter engagement and leadership development strategies. The right person for this job is a highly motivated team player, critical thinker, willing learner and trainer, with organizing and voter contact and mobilization experience, excellent writing and communications skills, and an entrepreneurial spirit. The ideal candidate will be passionate about United We Dream and its sister organization’s, United We Dream Action, mission and political and electoral savvy.
This position will split their time between directing and managing the organizations’ voter outreach and mobilization program and developing and coordinating training for staff and volunteers. The Civic Engagement and Training Manager must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, moving from developing voter contact strategies to training staff, members, and volunteers on organizing, voter engagement, and voter contact tools and tactics.
They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, a skilled multi-tasker, reliable and committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams. This is a full-time position reporting to the Strategy Director.
- Participate in organizational and electoral strategy conversations and decision making within the UWD & UWDA staff leadership team and bring data and field program perspective to shape strategy;
- Work with civic engagement team & Strategy Director to develop voter outreach and mobilization strategies in coordination to achieve local and national goals;
- Work with data manager to produce reports and assessments to monitor progress on goals for internal planning and funders partners, and direct staff teams to take necessary steps to adjust if need be
- Support and coach staff to ensure successful implementation of local programs;
- Work with staff teams to ensure successful implementation of voter and volunteer engagement grassroots and digital events in CA, TX, FL, and DMV and support participation of UWD affiliates in other states including Oklahoma;
- Plan and implement voter outreach, engagement of grassroots volunteers, and digital events and trainings (depending on COVID-19) to advance the program’s goals
- Work with staff teams to advance communications, narrative, and digital strategies to achieve electoral and political goals;
- Work with field and communications teams to identify leaders to serve as spokespeople and serve as a spokesperson when necessary; and
- Other duties as assigned
Abilities and Experience
- 3 + years of experience in electoral campaigns and voter outreach and mobilization;
- Demonstrate experience in running a data driven program and be able to implement a culture of data among the team;
- Grassroots and digital organizing experience;
- Experience in managing and coaching staff, members, and volunteers;
- 3 + years of experience with planning and leading organizing and voter outreach trainings;
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment;
- Enjoys working with others and is a team player;
- Excellent at communication skills (written, oral, and interpersonal skills) and public speaking
- Ability to be part of intersecting teams and give and receive support as necessary;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure;
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others;
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail;
- Personal experience with the issues facing the UWD membership preferred; but not required
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred;
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor.
- Engage as a senior leader: Advise on organizational and electoral strategy; represent the Field Department perspective during regular senior leadership team meetings; participate in strategic and long-term planning processes within UWDN & UWDA staff leadership team
- Strategic alignment: Build consensus within the membership to ensure UWD’s Field’s Civic Engagement strategy is aligned with the organizational vision and membership priorities
- Build future leaders: Train and mentor youth on Electoral and Civic Engagement in order to build a pipeline of young leaders of color in the immigrant rights movement
- Demonstrate embodied leadership: Prioritize taking care of your physical and emotional health as a key component of thriving in your role. Practice self-care behaviors in ways that work best for you and proactively encourage your staff to prioritize self-care as well. Project trust & confidence in your abilities and skills and recognize the achievements and abilities of others
- Strengthen the culture: Ensure a safe, welcoming, and inspiring organizational culture for staff to excel in. Role model and uphold UWD’s values of creating an inclusive and equitable working environment
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. Please email email@example.com and include Civic Engagement & Training Manager (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line, and include the following:
- Cover letter, resume, and three writing samples;
- At least three professional references (references are not contacted until you’ve had a successful interview);
- Please send any salary requirements, history, range or expectations separately from other materials.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWDA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.