Join Our Team: Communications Director
United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 175,000 members as well as 55 local groups, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, providing immigration services, building cutting edge technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven track record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
We’re looking for a creative and visionary leader to manage all aspects of news and entertainment media relations, message development, marketing, and communications capacity development for United We Dream. The Communications Director will supervise staff and consultant teams responsible for national communications, field communications as well as branding and public relations.
As a member of the senior staff team, the successful candidate will also participate in organizational and political strategy decision making. To be successful in this job, an individual must work well under pressure and get excited about developing the next generation of communicators because we’re in the business of supporting our affiliate groups and leaders to shine. This is a full-time, salaried exempt position based in Washington, DC or New York, NY.
- Directly supervise a National Communications Manager, a Field Communications Manager, and Creative Manager to ensure that their respective teams meet their goals.
- Lead the formation and implementation of a new, multi-department communications team to meet the goals of United We Dream’s 2020 Vision Strategic Plan.
- Pitch high level stories, field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, hosts and bloggers
- Write or manage the writing of press statements, media advisories, press releases, talking points and background memos.
- Plan and support press events organized by United We Dream, affiliate groups and partners
- Ensure that UWD Affiliate groups have the assistance they need to be successful in media outreach and communications to increase their visibility and achieve their goals
- Lead on the development of messages for UWD’s range of audiences
- Contribute to the political strategic direction of the Network
- Identify and train spokespeople for press events and interviews in both English and Spanish
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with communications staff and lead volunteers of UWD Affiliates and partners
- Find opportunities to advance the interests of United We Dream members and programs through the news and entertainment media
- Ensure consistent messaging across all United We Dream communications platforms
- Ensure that our message and brand reflect the artistic and cultural diversity of our membership
- Manage UWD’s media relations technology suite
- Track news clips and continually assess and improve UWD’s impact on the media
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy – including both long-term and rapid response projects – to advance the goals of our membership
ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 5 years of communications or relevant experience
- At least 3 years of multi-staff management experience
- Track record of success working with new and traditional media
- Experience producing messaging for campaigns and materials
- Experienced and inspiring training skills
- Able to implement a rapid response communication strategy
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects and hold self and others accountable
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others
- Ability to communicate fluently (written and oral) in Spanish preferred
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred but not required
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal communications skills
- Don’t think you meet one of these requirements or quite fit the box we’ve described? This is a comms job – convince us why we should hire you anyway.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and at least three writing samples via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
As this is a communications role, your cover letter, resume, and choice of writing samples should be a pleasure to read and inspire us to give you a call.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.