Continuous Residence DACA Worksheet and Evidence

To apply for DACA, you must submit documents showing that you have been living in the U.S. since June 15, 2007 until the present. We know this is an overwhelming task. This worksheet is to help you break down the last 14 years and make sure you include all the necessary proof to complete your application.

General tips:

  • Only submit copies of your documents, keep the originals.
  • The documents you use should have three things: your name, a date and an address on them. Documents that have your name and a date and clearly show you were in the United States at that time can be helpful too. 
  • Try to avoid documentation gaps longer than 3 months. 
  • You can fill a gap in documentation by submitting at least 2 affidavits from people who knew you during the period for which there is a gap and will attest that you were in the US during those months.
  • Make a list of what you did, where you went, and with whom you have had contact since June 15, 2007. 
  • If you have a documentation gap longer than 3 months, think of people you have known since coming to the U.S. Who would be willing to write an affidavit saying they saw you here during that time  on your behalf? Affidavits can help you fill a gap. 

Based on the documents you have, check off the boxes below to figure out which months you are missing.


Major Life Events: 

  • _
  • _
  • _

Places Where You Have Lived:

  • _
  • _
  • _

People You Have Known:

  • _
  • _
  • _

More Information:

I left the US after 2007, do I still qualify? If you are worried about having traveled outside the US since 2007, the USCIS website is clear that a short, temporary absence should not interrupt your continuous residency if:

  • The absence was short and reasonably calculated to accomplish the purpose for the absence;
  • The absence was not because of an order of exclusion, deportation, or removal;
  • The absence was not because of an order of voluntary departure or an administrative grant of voluntary departure before you were placed in exclusion, deportation, or removal proceedings; and
  • The purpose of the absence and/or your actions while outside of the United States were not contrary to law.

For help on writing affidavits, see the “How to Write an Affidavit” Guide.

List of Evidence

Some of the documents below may not be enough on their own, but together with other documents or affidavits, they may help show that you have been living in the U.S. since June 15, 2007. The documents listed first are preferable, if available. 

  • School records
    • Transcripts, report cards, diplomas, Individual
    • Education Program (IEP) records
  • U.S. Military personnel records
  • Employment records
    • Income tax returns/tax transcripts, pay stubs, W-2 forms, employment contract, employment letter
  • Medical records
    • Insurance, vaccinations, doctor visits, dental records, hospital records 1
  • Rental agreements
  • Financial records
    • Bank statements
    • Credit card records
    • Collection notices
    • Online purchase receipts
    • Money transfer receipts (e.g. Western Union, MoneyGram, etc.)
  • Religious records (e.g. baptism certificate, letter from church)
  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Records of your children born in the U.S.
    • Birth certificates, Medical records, Day care receipts
  • Identification documents issued in the US
    • Passport issued by a consulate in the U.S.
    • School ID, Gym ID
    • National or Consular ID (e.g. matricula, DNI, etc.)
  • Bills
    • Utility (gas, electric, phone, etc.), receipts or letters from companies showing the dates you received service
    • Car payment, insurance, maintenance receipts
    • Mortgage payment receipts
  • Veterinarian records for your pet
  • Xbox Live account records of downloads and video game purchases, as well as communications with other players
  • Flight itineraries/ tickets/rewards program
  • Dated photographs
  • Facebook check-ins, tweets and other social media
  • Netflix records
  • Restaurant receipts, Grocery store/ coffee shop rewards program records
  • Library card records
  • Gym membership records
  • Video store records
  • Driving record 2 

– DO NOT submit arrest records as proof of continuous residence. – 

1 Records that refer to drug or alcohol treatment may not be good evidence to use. Consult with an attorney or BIA Accredited Representative.

2 If you have any traffic tickets related to alcohol or drugs, consult with an attorney or BIA accredited representative before deciding to apply for DACA. Avoid submitting traffic tickets, if possible. USCIS may consider your driving history a negative factor in deciding whether you qualify for DACA

Receive DACA Updates

This March marks 21 years of ICE CBP & DHS terrorizing our immigrant communities.

Ever since their creation, ICE and CBP have targeted, detained, abused and deported immigrants while separating loved ones and tearing apart communities. Donate 21 dollars to help us fight back against the 21 years of terror.